If shortcuts including network drives links are disappearing randomly from Windows 7 Desktops, here what you can do to address issue:
1)) Apply the following hotfix from Microsoft
2)) Disable “System Maintenance troubleshooter” Control Panel. Go to Control panel
- In control Panel (Change view to Category). Under System and Security, click Find and fix problems.
- Click Change settings on the left side and change Computer Maintenance to Off.
3)) Go to the Scheduled tasks in Accessories and delete any entries related to Windows troubleshooting or clean-up.
4)) Try to rebuild the Icon Cache.
- First, change Folders View to show hidden files – this can be found under Folder options
- Go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
- Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it to IconCache.db.back. Close and restart.